One Hundred Years of Education at Roxborough School
A History of Our School.
The first school at Roxborough was founded by Alexander Shaw in 1889. This school was located south of the "old" Roxborough School. The school was set up in a dwelling house with 64 pupils on roll. There were 40 girls and 24 boys attending the school. Briget O Brien was the first teacher appointed and her salary was partly financed by fees paid by the pupils. In 1907 a second assistant, Mary Fitzgerald joined the teaching staff.
The original building proved unsatisfactory and in 1911 construction began on a new school. The 'new' school house was opened on May 6th 1912 and consisted of two classrooms divided by a wooden partition. Roxborough school continued to grow and a number of prefabricated buildings were added to the site to accommodate the growing population.
Throughout the 1970s and 1980s the Board of Management worked tirelessly with the late Sean Marrinan (Principal) to secure a new school building. Their efforts were rewarded when the "new Roxborough school", 100 metres away, was under construction in 1984. The school was completed in September 1985. Pat O Neill succeeded Séan Marrinan as principal not long after the new school was opened.
The old Roxborough school was vacated in September 1985 and is currently being used as a pre-
On Sunday May 6th 2012 Roxborough School celebrated 100 years of education between the old and the new school. The day began with the unveiling of a plaque at the old school. The pupils put on musical and dance performances with past pupils and parents in attandance. A piper led the congregation to the new school where mass was celebrated by Father Oliver.
Refreshments were provided, photographs were taken and many friends old and new met.
Centenary Celebrations at the Old School May 6th 2012